Hello, my name is Chris (クリス) and I'm from Alaska. I thoroughly enjoy teaching and it is a wonderful experience for me to see students further their careers and reach their goals.
I have a great deal of experience teaching beginner through advanced students with a special focus on:
- Grammar Acquisition
- Conversational Fluency
- Business English
I graduated from the University of California at Santa Barbara with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I've been teaching ESL for over ten years in the US, Japan, and Spain.
I have helped my pupils successfully prepare for:
- International business meetings
- Job interviews (Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Financial/Engineering Companies)
- University Application Processes
- Technical engineering presentations
I completed a textbook on American English Pronunciation for the Japanese called 「アメリカナ」 (registered under the Creative Commons).
「アメリカナ」 examines the differences and similarities between American English and カナ, as well as intonation, emphasis, and subtle changes in speech that native American English speakers make, which can be learned with practice.
After finishing university, I worked in business development for a software company in California.
- I closed deals with companies in North and South America, Asia, and Europe
- Successfully negotiated with C-level executives
- Received my company's Sales Development Representative of the Year award in 2010
For the majority of the last five years, I have worked as a marine engineer on commercial shipping vessels and private yachts.
My first novel was published in 2013, and I'm currently working on my second!
I believe a teacher must be respectful and professional. I will do my best to listen to my students' plans and goals and outline a personalized path to success.
Thank you very much!