Messages from our tutors
- New Annual Memberships! Hello Everyone!I hope everyone has had a wonderful 2018. The new year is right around the... 1 month ago
- New Lessons! Dear Students,How are you doing? I hope you are doing well! I am happy to announce that I... 3 years ago
- Dear Cafetalk Students Hello :) I have decided to change my lessons for students to better navigate my lesson l... 3 years ago
My name is Matthew and I am from Buffalo, NY. I have been teaching English to Japanese students since 2006, when I moved to Japan. I lived there until 2012 and really enjoyed my time there. I miss Japan! Hopefully, I will be back there soon. Currently, I am back in the US after travelling the world and teaching English.
I want my students to have fun during their lessons! I think we learn best when we are having fun and interested. It’s best to learn when we aren’t afraid of making mistakes. Mistakes are a crucial part of learning. So, I like to get to know my students and build a good relationship with them. This helps students feel relaxed in my lessons and really explore the language.
During my lessons, I allow my students to speak as much as possible. In order to improve our speaking, we need to speak. While you are speaking, I am typing any mistakes you make in the Skype chat box. Then, I will provide you with the corrections and alternative words or expressions.
Since I have lived in Japan before, I know a lot about Japanese culture and the language. I feel this really helps students feel comfortable in my lesson.
Prior to teaching, I was a successful manager at a large company. I understand the business world well and have helped many students improve their Business English.
I enjoy teaching all types of English. General Conversation, Kids English, Travel English, Test Preparation (TOEIC, TOEFL, EIKEN, IELTS), Interview Preparation and whatever else you are eager to learn.
In my free time, I really enjoy the outdoors. I love camping, hiking, sports, reading, writing, learning, listening to music and meeting new people. I hope to meet you soon as well!
Thanks for checking out my profile :)
- English Native
- Japanese Daily conversation
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Write Sample Sentences Write sample sentences using new words and expressions that you have learned. A great way to memorize new words and ensure that you are using them correctly!
- Daily Conversation (Annual Pack) 12 25-minute lessons. Includes bonus materials!
- Kids English A Lesson for Kids and Teenagers Eager to Learn English!
- Keep a Journal (4 Pack) Want to improve your writing skills, increase your vocabulary and become more fluent?
- Daily Conversation Pack ( 4 lessons ) Great savings on your favorite lesson!
- Daily Conversation ( 55 min ) Let's Chat! Learn Vocabulary, Grammar and Expressions Along The Way.
- Business English General Business English, Meeting Preparation, Interview Preparation or Presentation Preparation.
- Text Support This is a texting lesson. We send text messages on Skype back and forth to each other.
- Daily Conversation ( 25 min ) Let's Chat! Learn Vocabulary, Grammar and Expressions Along The Way.
- Keep a Daily Journal 30 Journal Entries in 30 Days. Improve your writing skills, increase your vocabulary and become more fluent!
- English Test Preparation Improve your score on TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS and EIKEN
- Daily Lesson (10 lessons) The best way to improve your English skills is to practice every day!
- Everyday Pack (18 lessons) The best way to improve your English skills is to practice every day!
- Specialty Lesson ( 25 min ) Idioms, Pronunciation, Current Events, Questions
- IELTS Writing Improve your IELTS writing score! (Includes 2 writing tasks)
- Listening Comprehension Are you looking to improve your listening skills? (25% Off Coupon Included)
- Weekly Pack Choose any 4 of my 25 minute lessons. Or 2 of my 55 minute lessons.
- Voice Recording Would you like to improve your pronunciation, speaking speed and listening skills?
- Proofreading - Fast Return! Submit up to 1000 of your wonderful words and have them proofread and returned with tips and tricks!
- Specialty Lesson ( 55 min ) Idioms, Pronunciation, Current Events, Questions
- Business English 4-Pack General Business English, Business Roleplay, Meeting/Interview/Presentation Preparation.
- English Test Preparation 4-Pack Improve your score on TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS and EIKEN
- Daily Conversation (Annual Pack) 12 55-minute lessons. Includes bonus materials!
- Study Guide Material to use for self-study and/or in lessons. Look for a new guide every month!
Feedback from students
Thank you for your detailed feedback. I learned a lot from your feedback. I'll try harder to be a better writer. 返信も早く、非常に丁寧に添削して頂き、本当に勉強になります。また、3回目の添削にして、私自身の癖を見抜き、的確なアドバイスを頂きました。これだけは絶対続けようという気になります。
Matthew Happy 2019 Cafetalk!! Happy New Year!!!I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and thank...
Matthew New! Annual Memberships! Hello Everyone!I hope everyone has had a wonderful 2018. The new year...
Matthew Tutor's Column Hello, Most students ask me for ways that they can improve their Eng...
Matthew What's your mindset? Many of my students often say, "I can't _____." It doesn't matter wha...
Matthew After Midnight Club Hey Cafetalk!I am happy to announce a new "club" that I would like to...