Phrasal Verbs in Use (Advanced)
for Upper Intermediate to Advanced Levels
Please be ready to think of situations in which phrasal verbs may be used. You may bring up any pertinent topics and issues for discussion as long as you actively use the phrasal verbs tackled in the lesson.
You are encouraged to use a dictionary.
The first few units are focused on specific verbs and particles. Later, the lessons become more thematic.
Table of Contents:
As a student, you will be asked to make sentences which express the meaning of the phrasal verb, so be prepared to include additional details to further clarify the context.
He put his fiancee's family off. -- The sentence is grammatically correct but the meaning is unclear. (We can do better.)
The following example expresses the idea in greater detail:
He put his fiancee's family off by arriving at the reunion drunk and being rude to everyone. Her father was incensed (i.e., very angry). She might just call off the wedding.
Here, we get the idea: to put someone off is to upset someone. How did he put off her relatives? He came to the celebration intoxicated/drunk and he was rude to them. Maybe they won't get married after all. (Maybe.)
to put someone off = (primarily US English) to upset or annoy someone
to call off = to cancel
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Customized Lessons for TKMD Customized for a specific student-client
- ENGLISH-IN-THE-NEWS (video+reading+discussion) This course integrates speaking, listening, & reading exercises to maximize learning.
- 50-minute Free-form Conversations (Chat in English) Talk about anything under the sun, and I'll guide you with tips and corrections.
- Legal Themes (30-day Pack) a 4-session lesson pack of Legal Themes and Case Discussions valid for 30 days
- Free-form Conversations (Chat in English) Talk about anything under the sun :)
- TOEFL IBT SPEAKING LESSON PACK Full Practice Tests (Independent and Integrated Tasks)
- IELTS Speaking Module Practice Prepare for the IELTS speaking module, hone your skills for the interview
- By Special Request special requests: MBA mock interview, poster presentation, academic English, English for business meetings
- Collocations-In-Use (Intermediate) Increase fluency, sound more natural, know your idioms and phrasal verbs. Take it a step further and know collocations.
- Phrasal Verbs in Use (Intermediate) for Lower Intermediate to Intermediate Levels
- Phrasal Verbs in Use (Advanced) for Upper Intermediate to Advanced Levels
- USMLE STEP 2 CS Cases/Patient Encounters Practice Role-plays for doctors, in preparation for patient encounters in the USMLE Step 2 CS
- Customized Session for TK-san customized for a specific student-client
- Mock Interviews for MBA Program Aspirants 4 sessions valid for 30 days
- Patient Encounters and Clinical Case Scenarios (30-day Lesson Pack) a 4-session lesson pack of Patient Encounters and Clinical Case Scenarios valid for 30 days
- Legal Themes and Cases - A Discussion Course Discussions based on articles from the National Law Review as well as other Law Journals
- English for Nurses (Patient Scenarios: Encounters and Interviews) a customized course of lessons
- Reel English (TV) Watch and Learn.
- English Sessions: A Baker's Dozen for 90 days a 90-day Lesson Pack with a Baker's Dozen for Conversations, Discussions, News, Current Events