an introduction to some very common idioms
What are idioms? An idiom (sometimes they are called “Idiomatic expressions”) is a group of words whose meaning you can`t understand by knowing the separate words. Most dictionaries only give the meanings of individual words. So, maybe you know the meanings of the separate words in this sentence, “Jane drives me up the wall!”. However, do you know what the complete sentence means? It means “Jane makes me very annoyed or angry!” Unfortunately, it takes a bit of time to learn the idioms of a new language and English has very many idoms! Just like learning the meanings of single words (vocabulary), it`s best to start with the most common used words. This course (lesson) will help you to recognise idioms and discuss some of the very common idioms in English. Probably you have seen some idioms yourself but were unsure about their meaning. If so, come to this lesson and ask me about it.
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Talking Heads Short conversation lessons for busy people.
- Conversation for English Comprehension Listening and reading comprehension activities and discussion about a wide range of topics.
- English for Tour Guides Good news!!!The Yomiuri Shimbun reported recently that an estimated 867,100 foreign tourists visited Japan in September 2013. This was an increase of 31.7 percent from a year earlier.
- Basic English for Children English lessons for kids using Skype and Google Docs!
- Australian English Pronunciation like an Aussie.
- Conversation for English Comprehension Listening and reading comprehension and discussion about a wide range of topics.
- New! Job! Interview! English for New! Co behavioral job interviewing
- Idioms an introduction to some very common idioms
- English Pronunciation Lesson Pack using the Phonemic Chart Speak English properly by breathing; moving your mouth, tongue and teeth.
- Proofreading and Research I will help you improve your English language documents with speed and accuracy at reasonable cost. My charge is for documents not exceeding 2,000 words.
- English for College and University Essential skills for tertiary studies.
- English Lesson Pack for Junior High School Students Easy Everyday English Speaking
Feedback from students
He is very friendly and gentle. He took over time for me to teach pronounciation. I am glad I can get how to pronounse the words. Thank you very much.
Mr.Denve was gentle and kind to me in his lesson. He explained his lesson style to me politely. Thank you very much.
Thank you for giving me interesting time. See you soon.