TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English)
This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
Hello Cafetalk Community!
How would you like to watch an insightful, interesting, and informative TED Talks video and then talk about it in the lesson? This is for intermediate (and above) English-learners who want to write and express their opinions about the video.
[*NOTE] If you are unable to understand a native American-speaker in English, this course may be too advanced for you. At the same time, I welcome any student at any level who wants to challenge taking this valuable course.
[Basic outline of the lesson] - 50 minutes.
[Before the lesson]
I will provide you with 3 choices of TED Talks videos on diverse topics. (Approx. 20 - 30 minute per video). Please take the time to view the video before the lesson. The videos are translated into Japanese, but I would prefer it if you do not look at the subtitles. Unless you absolutely have to view the subtitles in order to understand the content, I would like you to challenge your listening skills by watching the video without the subtitles. (I understand either way)
[The first 15-20 minutes of the lesson:]
1.) You are required to write an essay (2 paragraphs minimum) about what you learned in the TED Talks video that you saw.
a.) You can write an essay during the first 5-10 minutes of the lesson.
b.) Or you can choose to write it on your own time before the lesson.
This decision is up to you, and either option is fine with me.
[The second part (approx. 30 minutes) of the lesson:]
2.) I will ask you to answer a variety of prepared questions about the topic of the TED Talks video that you ed.
3.) I will ask for your opinion about what you've learned, liked and disliked about the video. This will give you a chance to practice your speaking skills and expressing your thoughts in English.
I would like to have an intriguing, informative, and insightful conversation with you about the topic in the video. I believe TED Talks speakers and their messages are extremely helpful in gaining insight and the topic in depth. I think you will also be fascinated by the many excellent speakers and topics on TED Talks too!
[Ted Talks website:]
If you would like to learn more about TED Talks videos, please click on the website below to reach their website:
I hope you find the above lesson interesting. If the lesson sounds interesting to you, please contact me on my Cafetalk webpage.
My name is "Lady Ayame" and my profile page lists all of my other lessons! I am a patient, gentle, and caring English tutor. Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope I have the opportunity to meet you soon!
PS: If you're so inclined, please take a look at my profile web page here:
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
[Let's have a meaningful and fun discussion about a TED Talks videos]
Lessons offered by this tutor
- American English Discount Pack! (30-min) This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- TV Talk Show Interview Challenge! (Intermediate Level) This English lesson requires you to watch an American Talk Show interview! Can you tell what they are saying? Interviews are from talk shows like "Ellen," "Jimmy Kimmel," "James Corden," "Jimmy Fallon," etc.
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English) This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- "American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies" In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- Business English: Small Talk (Beginners Only!) [This lesson is suitable for beginning English-learners:] Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize useful phrases.
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students
初めてAyame-senseiのレッスンを受講しました。会話が途切れる事なく、あっという間に時間が過ぎました。 TED Talksのビデオを見た後に要約を書いて提出します。書かなくてはいけないので、真面目に集中してビデオを見るように しました。自分1人ではこういう風に取り組めない事があったので、とても良いレッスンでした。どうもありがとうございました！
間違いだらけの英語でもきちんと最後まで聞いてくれ、直してくれるので、とても勉強になります。 Ayame先生はいつでもどんな小さなことでも褒めてくださるので、私はその褒め言葉にどれだけ救われたかしれません！(笑) 話していて笑顔が素敵で、モチベーションをいつでもあげてくれます！
事前にTEDのリンクをいくつか送ってくださり、その中から選んだトピックを事前に聞きました。 今回は要約のエッセイも事前に書いたうえでレッスンに臨みました。 先生はとてもやさしくこちらが言葉につまっても辛抱強く待っていただけました。 今回は初めてのレッスンでしたので、次はもっといろいろ突っ込んで話したり、言い間違いの指摘などもいただければと思います。