"World's Famous Couples!"
Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
Dear Cafetalk Community,
Happy Valentine's Day! As the special day approaches, why not "kill two birds with one stone?" (<-- American idiom)
1.) You can study English in a fun, informative, and intriguing way!
2.) This is an interactive class where you can practice your English reading, speaking, and listening skills.
3.) Discover intriguing facts about 15 famous and passionate love affairs!
4.) You can learn about Western history at the same time!
[Some of the "World's Most Famous Romantic Couples" are covered in the lesson!]
* Romeo and Juliet
* Cleopatra and Mark Antony
* Grace Kelly and Prince Rainier
* Helen of Troy and Paris
* Napolean and Josephine
* Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton
* John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy (Onasis)
If you like love stories that have endured the test of time, and you would like to discover what makes these relationships so romantic and special, then I believe this lesson is for you!
[You might want to find out further information about the "Valentine" couples, for example, ...]
Where did they meet?
Was it love at first sight?
What was the attraction?
Did they face any obstacles along the way?
Did their love last?
Was their relationship volatile and tumultuous, or calm and loving?
Why did this relationship story stand the test of time?
[Structure of the lesson:]
I will provide a colorful, visually appealing worksheet that provides the material and information covered in the "Valentine's Day" lesson.
1.) You will read 5 short paragraphs in English about each of the well-known couples.
2.) I will ask you questions in English about what you just read about the first 5 couples.
3.) You are allowed to look at the material to find the answers.
4.) Afterward, we can have a discussion about the material you just learned in the lesson.
[The various English skills you will develop in this lesson:]
[*Note:] --> I recommend this lesson for "intermediate" to "advanced" English-speakers. The reading materials in English are brief and from the "Easy Reads" section - reading level.
Don't worry though... You can look for the answers in the worksheet. Also, you don't have to prepare for anything before the lesson. *If you don't know the answer, I can provide "hints" in English and Japanese, if necessary.
[*Please be prepared to spend at least 30-45 minutes to complete the lesson.]
If the above "Valentine's Day" Special English Lesson sounds interesting to you, please contact me. Please take a look at my profile page for further information about my academic credentials, professional resume, and personal experiences.
[Web page for the "Valentine's Day" Lesson:]
I look forward to seeing you soon!
"Happy Valentine's Day!"
Lessons offered by this tutor
- American English Discount Pack! (30-min) This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- TV Talk Show Interview Challenge! (Intermediate Level) This English lesson requires you to watch an American Talk Show interview! Can you tell what they are saying? Interviews are from talk shows like "Ellen," "Jimmy Kimmel," "James Corden," "Jimmy Fallon," etc.
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English) This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- "American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies" In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- Business English: Small Talk (Beginners Only!) [This lesson is suitable for beginning English-learners:] Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize useful phrases.
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students
Ayame先生は、いつもとても楽しい教材を準備されています。今回もバレンタインにちなんで"World's most famous Couples"のテキストが、とても素敵で楽しい読み物のようになっています。またクイズも楽しく、あっという間に時間が過ぎていきました。 私はあまり映画に詳しくはないのですが、先生がいろいろ熱心に詳しく説明してくださるので、とても楽しいレッスンになっています。いつも熱意がとても感じられる授業で、素敵な先生だなと思っています。