Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack)
Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
Hello Cafetalk Community!
[*Topic/Text:] "Phantom of the Opera" by Jennifer Bassett
[*English Reading Level:] "Easy Reads" - 10 short chapters in the book, 40 total pages/5 lessons = 8 pages of reading per lesson)
[*This reading class consists of 5 x 50-minute lessons] --> All 5 lessons in the Value Pack must be used within 90 days from the day of purchase. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
I have a special lesson for you if you want to develop your English "reading," "comprehension," "vocabulary," and "speaking" skills to discuss the material. It would be even better if you are interested in the original and true story of "The Phantom of the Opera" by Jennifer Bassett.
If you like romantic stories, glorious music, suspense, listening to heart-wrenchingly poignant songs, reading about a mysterious ghost in the Opera House, this is the lesson for you!
The musical, "The Phantom of the Opera" is one of the longest running shows on Broadway. The haunting, moving, and lyrical melody/music in the show is unforgettable. Let's read the original story together and have an interesting discussion about the short book.
[The Original Broadway Musical:]
"Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera opened January 26, 1988, at the Majestic Theatre starring Michael Crawford, Sarah Brightman, and Steve Barton. 30 years later, the production is making history as the first show to celebrate the 30th anniversary on Broadway."] (~ Wikipedia)
[Made into a Film:]
Later, the famous musical was made into a film and released on November 3, 1989.
The Phantom of the Opera is a 2004 British–American musical drama film based on Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1986 musical of the same name, which in turn is based on the French novel Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux. Produced and co-written by Lloyd Webber and directed by Joel Schumacher, it stars Gerard Butler in the title role, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson, Minnie Driver and Jennifer Ellison. (Wikipedia)
You will be expected to read two chapters for each of the five lessons. Each chapter is approximately 4 pages, so you have to read approximately two chapters or 8 pages per lesson. You can choose to read it on your own time and spend more time discussing the material during the lesson. However, most students choose to read the book during the 50-minute lesson and answer questions about it afterward. Whichever style you prefer works for me. I'm a flexible and gentle English tutor.
I have many questions prepared to ask you about the original story. Hopefully, these questions will spark a lively and spontaneous discussion about the book, musical, and film.
[*In addition:] I will ask you to listen to two songs from the musical, "The Phantom of the Opera" before each lesson to get you in the mood for the lesson.
[Materials:] Lesson materials are provided including:
1.) Two chapters will be provided for you to prepare for the lesson.
2.) The music will be posted to your Skype account for you to listen to before the lesson.
3.) The worksheet with the questions will also be supplied to you.
*You do not need anything for this lesson. Everything you need will be provided for you. This will be a great introduction for you to begin reading English material.
During the lesson, you will answer many questions about the chapters that you've read. We will have a fun discussion about the story for the remaining time left in the lesson! I hope you are interested in reading the book with me!
This lesson is good for improving your reading, comprehension, vocabulary, and speaking skills! Thank you for your interest and time. Hope to see you soon!
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
This is a 5-lesson pack. You will be issued 5 free coupons when your first lesson is confirmed by the tutor so you can request the remaining lessons. Please note that all requests related to this pack must be taken within 90 days of the confirmation date.
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- American English Discount Pack! This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- "Business English" (Small Talk) Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize the useful phrases.
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- "American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies" In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- "Manga" English (30 minutes) This is an innovative way to study English using "Manga" (cartoon) style! This lesson is for beginners and intermediate English learners!
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- Beginning Japanese Lesson - Let's talk! This course is perfect if you are a beginner studying the Japanese language. Learn easy Japanese phrases, words, and expressions. Primarily a free talk lesson!
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students