Movie Mania!...Who Said It?
Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
New Lesson! "Movie Mania!... Who Said It?"
Welcome and thank you for your interest in this unique and fun lesson! This is a text-based quiz that includes "85 Questions" about movie quotes from classic Hollywood films. For example, have you seen the films "Star Wars," "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "The Godfather," "The Wizard of Oz," "Taxi Driver," and other all-time favorite American movies? In that case, you'll probably do an excellent job on the quiz!
Since I have been a professional actress in Hollywood and acquired over 50 credits on IMDb (Internet Movie Database), I am extremely familiar with countless American movies.
[This is my IMDb webpage:]
In addition, I graduated from UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Theatre Arts, so I also know the history of the entertainment business well.
More recently, I got a Master's degree in "Library and Information Science" from the San Jose State University. After graduating, I worked at the Santa Monica Main Public Library for 8 years, so I am familiar with all types of literature. Since most movies are originally based on books, I have read the book and watched the movie based on the same book in "Film and Literature" class at UCLA.
Adorned with colorful photographic visual aids, I will provide a worksheet with 85 multiple-choice questions about a variety of famous quotes from well-known movies. All you have to do is guess which movie the quote is from, or fill-in-the-blank to complete the line from the movie. Doesn't that sound like fun?
"I'm not afraid. I can be brave like you. But I know I shall be homesick for you, even in ______________." (Little Women)
[Elizabeth Taylor, June Allison, Margaret O'Brien, and Janet Leigh in "Little Women"]
[It's okay if you don't know the movies or the quotes!]
If you don't know the movie quotes already, that's okay too! Don't you think it's a fun way to learn the quotes using your English comprehension and sense-making skills? During the lesson, I will give you hints in English along the way so you can work on your speaking skills too! Why not challenge yourself to this intriguing quiz to improve your English?
The muse for this lesson evolved from my love for movies! Please give this lesson a try, especially if you like Hollywood movies too! To see further information about my personal and professional background, as well as a list of other lessons that I offer, please take a look at my profile page.
PS: The answer to the multiple-choice question above is --> b.) heaven
Thank you for your interest in this lesson. I look forward to meeting you soon!
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
[Marlon Brando in "The Godfather"]
[Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind"]
[Robert DeNiro in "Taxi Driver" (1976)]
[Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz"]
Lessons offered by this tutor
- American English Discount Pack! This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- Proofreading Writing Lesson (No Skype) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- English Grammar Lesson! (30 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- "Business English" (Small Talk) Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize the useful phrases.
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- "Real Life English" Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- Beginning Japanese Lesson - Let's talk! This course is perfect if you are a beginner studying the Japanese language. Learn easy Japanese phrases, words, and expressions. Primarily a free talk lesson!
- "Manga" English (30 minutes) This is an innovative way to study English using "Manga" (cartoon) style! This lesson is for beginners and intermediate English learners!
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students
This is the first time that I spoke to her in the class and I was very impressed by her passionate attitude as an English teacher. I took the movie class today and we proceeded the lesson based on a set of thoroughly prepared documents which she kindly sent me before the lesson. I think this approach to the class really shows her passion as a teacher and consideration for students. No wonder that she recorded more than 3000 lessons in such a short time. Also, as I am a passionate movie lover myself, this class turned out to be great fun talking with her about the famous lines used in many excellent Hollywood movies I want to continue this class with her help and enjoy the conversation together! Thank you very much, teacher! このクラスが、あやめ先生との最初のクラスでしたが、大変話しやすく、情熱のある先生で驚きました。私はこのCafeTalkにも長くこれまで20人以上の先生と話しましたが、その中でもあやめ先生の熱意は大変印象的でした。自身の女優のキャリアからも映画業界をよくご存じの方ですから、このクラスをするにはぴったりの先生だと思います。本当にフレンドリーで飾らない性格の方ですから、あらゆるレベルの生徒さんを教えれるのではないでしょうか？