Movie Mania!...Who Said It?
Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
New Lesson! "Movie Mania!... Who Said It?"
Welcome and thank you for your interest in this unique and fun lesson! This is a text-based quiz that includes "85 Questions" about movie quotes from classic Hollywood films. For example, have you seen the films "Star Wars," "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "The Godfather," "The Wizard of Oz," "Taxi Driver," and other all-time favorite American movies? In that case, you'll probably do an excellent job on the quiz!
Since I have been a professional actress in Hollywood and acquired over 50 credits on IMDb (Internet Movie Database), I am extremely familiar with countless American movies.
[This is my IMDb webpage:]
In addition, I graduated from UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles) with a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree in Theatre Arts, so I also know the history of the entertainment business well.
More recently, I got a Master's degree in "Library and Information Science" from the San Jose State University. After graduating, I worked at the Santa Monica Main Public Library for 8 years, so I am familiar with all types of literature. Since most movies are originally based on books, I have read the book and watched the movie based on the same book in "Film and Literature" class at UCLA.
Adorned with colorful photographic visual aids, I will provide a worksheet with 85 multiple-choice questions about a variety of famous quotes from well-known movies. All you have to do is guess which movie the quote is from, or fill-in-the-blank to complete the line from the movie. Doesn't that sound like fun?
"I'm not afraid. I can be brave like you. But I know I shall be homesick for you, even in ______________." (Little Women)
[Elizabeth Taylor, June Allison, Margaret O'Brien, and Janet Leigh in "Little Women"]
[It's okay if you don't know the movies or the quotes!]
If you don't know the movie quotes already, that's okay too! Don't you think it's a fun way to learn the quotes using your English comprehension and sense-making skills? During the lesson, I will give you hints in English along the way so you can work on your speaking skills too! Why not challenge yourself to this intriguing quiz to improve your English?
The muse for this lesson evolved from my love for movies! Please give this lesson a try, especially if you like Hollywood movies too! To see further information about my personal and professional background, as well as a list of other lessons that I offer, please take a look at my profile page.
PS: The answer to the multiple-choice question above is --> b.) heaven
Thank you for your interest in this lesson. I look forward to meeting you soon!
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
[Marlon Brando in "The Godfather"]
[Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable in "Gone With the Wind"]
[Robert DeNiro in "Taxi Driver" (1976)]
[Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz"]
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- American English Discount Pack! (30-min) This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- Reading Lesson: "How I Met Myself" (Intermediate Level) Would you like to read a suspenseful book about a Doppelganger in English? This lesson will develop your reading and discussion skills. Let's read and discuss the book together!
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- Reading Lesson: "Great Expectations" Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- TV Talk Show Interview Challenge! (Intermediate Level) This English lesson requires you to watch an American Talk Show interview! Can you tell what they are saying? Interviews are from talk shows like "Ellen," "Jimmy Kimmel," "James Corden," "Jimmy Fallon," etc.
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- Business English: Small Talk (Beginners Only!) [This lesson is suitable for beginning English-learners:] Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize useful phrases.
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English) This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Brain Teasers! Tired of the same ole' English grammar lessons? Or you've run out of things to say in free-talk conversations? Then, this is the lesson for YOU! Read more below!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students
Thanks Lady Ayame's taught. It was a real pleasure meeting you! I enjoyed speaking to you in English and know the story of movies. You know the famous movies very well. I was truly impressed to learn movie details from a movie star-Lady Ayame. I admire you for your professional. Thank you for sharing me a lot of English videos and learning channels. 謝謝Lady Ayame老師的教導。非常榮幸的見到您！我很喜歡跟您說英文以及瞭解電影的故事情節。您對知名電影都非常瞭解。從電影明星-Lady Ayame老師身上學到電影細節給我留下了深刻的印象。我很欣賞您的專業。謝謝您分享了很多英文的影片以及學習頻道。