"American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies"
In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
Dear Cafetalk Community,
Happy December! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season to you and your family!
[The Real Meaning of Christmas]
In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about?
As an English-learner, I believe you should become familiar with the Christmas traditions practiced in the Western hemisphere. I believe Christmas is one of the most important holidays in English-speaking countries and it would be beneficial for you to know the traditions, songs, and vocabularies that this lesson offers.
There are holiday-specific Christmas vocabulary words that might be useful and worth learning during Christmas time. For example, if you’re traveling abroad in December or entertaining foreign guests, it’s important to know the fundamentals about what Christmas really means. Also, you might be the type of person who is interested in learning about other cultures and customs in foreign countries.
I think you will find the Christmas tradition, history, and vocabulary fascinating to learn -- especially if the information is new to you. It is evident that Christmas has a long history since the 4th Century. However, the beautiful reason why we celebrate Christmas has been overshadowed by materialism over time.
[*Note:] This lesson is about traditional American Christmas celebrations. Although it is a fact that Christmas is to honor the birth of Jesus Christ, this lesson is not necessarily about religion.
“Christmas: Songs, Traditions, & Vocabularies” Lesson
1. Before the lesson, I will have you watch two Youtube videos of the songs, “The Christmas Song” and “Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.” I am using a couple of English songs to teach the various aspects related to Christmas in the US and Canada.
For example, “The Christmas Song” best describes the various elements of Christmas. I’m sure you’ve heard this song before, but do you know the lyrics? Let’s learn it together!
2. Next, I will email you a worksheet with the descriptions focusing on the various Christmas traditions, songs, and vocabulary words. The worksheet is adorned with beautiful photographs to serve as visual aids.
[2nd half of the lesson]
3. After I teach you about the customs, feasts, and vocabularies associated with Christmas on the worksheet, I will give you a short quiz to make sure you understood the explanations correctly.
I have lived in Japan, the United States (the longest in Los Angeles, CA) and now I live in Canada. I am extremely familiar with the cultures and customs of all holidays, but especially Christmas since it is my favorite time of year. I would love to share my first-hand knowledge with you!
Have a wonderful holiday season! See you soon!
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
Lessons offered by this tutor
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- American English Discount Pack! This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English) This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
- "Business English" (Small Talk) Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize the useful phrases.
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- "American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies" In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
- "Manga" English (30 minutes) This is an innovative way to study English using "Manga" (cartoon) style! This lesson is for beginners and intermediate English learners!
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
Feedback from students
It's really amazing that I could learn both a background of Christmas and new words at the same time in this lesson. Thanks to Ms Lady Ayame's thoughtfulness, the duration of waiting for the lesson was a sheer joy for me as she'd introduced me some beautiful Christmas song beforehand so that I could get more immersed myself in the Christmas mood. She is a bona fide entertainer and her smile makes my day complete! Thank you for your time and support, Ms Lady Ayame. Please take care and see you very soon!
初めて受講させていただきましたが、穏やかな語り口のやさしい先生でした。 アメリカのクリスマスについて、食べるものとか、習慣とかいろいろな説明をしていただいて、とても分かりやすかったです。 最後にクイズまであって、内容を確認しながらの楽しいレッスンでした。 また受講したいと思います。