"Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson
This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
It's great to be a part of this wonderful community of an intelligent, self-motivated, and disciplined group of students! Please read about this fun, exciting, and informative American English brain-teaser below!
I created a new lesson based on the renowned book, "The Guinness Book of World Records 2018". By reading the brief English descriptions, you will try to guess what new records were recently broken by answering the multiple-choice questions.
The exercise is meant to develop your reading, comprehension, speaking, and problem-solving skills. I have highlighted the words that act as "hints" throughout the exercise to help you arrive at the correct answer.
[For example:] -->
Fastest Speed in ___________________
Felix Baumgartner [AUT] fell to earth at 1,357.6 km/h [843.6 mph] during the death-defying Red Bull Stratos mission above New Mexico, USA, on 14 Oct. 2012.
The skydive, from a balloon floating at the edge of space, made Baumgartner the first human to break the sound barrier in __________________. His feat broke eight world records that had endured for 52 years, including Joe Kittinger's highest _________________ parachute jump, set on 16 Aug. 1960. That record, and the record for highest manned balloon flight, is now held by Alan Eustace.
Although I think this exercise will be fun and informative for everyone, I recommend this lesson for intermediate and advanced English students. Why not challenge yourself to my new "Guinness Book of World Records 2018" lesson? I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the information that you'll learn during the lesson. Let's learn and practice English the fun and exciting way!
"You have to put your thinking caps on!" (American idiom)
Thank you for reading my lesson description. I hope you find the above lesson intriguing. Why not challenge your mind to a fun brain teaser? Hope to see you sometime soon!
PS: The above answer is b.) freefall. Did you get it right?
(Patricia Ayame Thomson)
Lessons offered by this tutor
- Let's Learn American Idioms! Learn "American Idioms" to sound more like a native English-speaker!
- American English Discount Pack! This is a 5-Lesson Pack for the price of 4! 1 Lesson Free! (Instead of 1,200 points for each 30-minute lesson, pay only 960 points per lesson!.) Total points for 5 Lesson = 6,000 (With the Value Discount Pack --> Only 4,800 points)
- 15-minute Free Talk! (American English) We can speak English about whatever you want! Let's have a brief conversation!
- Quick Fun American English! (30 min) An American English "Free Talk" conversation lesson to practice your pronunciation, vocabulary, listening, and comprehension!
- 50-minute Lesson Value Pack! Get 5 lessons for the price of 4! Get one lesson free! (Normally: 1800 points x 5 = 9000) Get the Discount Value Pack for 7200 points = 1440 pts per lesson! Great value!
- Proofreading Lesson #3 (Up to 1200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, exam preparation, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- English Grammar Lesson! (50 min) This class focuses on learning English grammar and any questions you may have!
- Proofreading Lesson #1 (Up to 200 words!) I will proofread any written English! For example, diaries, emails, blogs, journals, homework, research papers, presentations, office documents, etc. Anything is okay! Communication through email. -- No Skype meeting.
- Let's Speak American English! You and me! (50 min) Learn American English having fun using conversation and original material! Perfect for any level!
- Picto Chat This picture description challenge is a fun way to develop your English "speaking" skills. Use your imagination and enjoy expressing yourself in English!
- Learn English with Breaking News! Build your vocabulary by reading and discussing the breaking news!
- Proofreading Lesson #2 (Up to 500 words!) This is a Non-Skype Lesson. I will be happy to proofread and revise any materials written in English. I provide detailed notes to explain why I made the changes! Up to 500 words!
- Random Question Challenge (30 min) I'll ask you random questions from a list of 250 quality conversational starters!
- "Business English" (Small Talk) Learn what to say when you first greet business people and foreign tourists. Written material is provided to help you memorize the useful phrases.
- For Children! Learn English with Storytime! This is an English Lesson for children using "Story Telling"!
- English "Listening" Exercise Do you want to check your level of "listening" skills? This is the right lesson for you!
- Children's English - 5 Lesson Value Pack 5 Children's English Lessons for the price of 4! One class free!
- Quick American English Discount Pack! (15 min.) Six lessons for the price of five! One free class! This is a 15-minute lesson for busy people. Let's talk and practice your English!
- "Real Life English" (Bank, Pharmacy, Doctor's Office) Did you want to learn about vocabulary going to real-life situations? Let's pretend to visit a restaurant, pharmacy, bank, doctor's visit, shopping, traveling, etc.
- Easy Reading Series ("Great Expectations") 5-Lesson Value Pack Are you interested in reading English books? Are you afraid of reading but want to try? This class is for upper-beginners and intermediate English learners. Let's discover the timeless words in Charles Dicken's book, "Great Expectations!"
- "Role Play in English" (Any situation is welcome!) Would you like to practice for an "English Speaking Interview?" We can perform role-play about any conversation or situation that you prefer. (Eg: restaurant etiquette, teacher-parent school conference, traveling abroad, medical visits, etc.)
- Movie Mania!...Who Said It? Are you an American movie fan? I think you'll enjoy this lesson if you know a lot about classic Hollywood movies and famous movie quotes! Most American native-speakers know these movie lines. Why not give it a try?
- Students! Homework Help? This lesson is customized to help you complete any kind of English assignment for Elementary, Junior High, High School, University, and ESL material.
- Reading Lesson: "Phantom of the Opera" (5-Value Pack) Let's read an "Easy Reader" short book together and every week I will quiz you on the material that you read! Doesn't that sound like fun?
- "American Christmas: Song, Traditions, and Vocabularies" In your country, have you ever wondered what Christmas is really about? Has the Christmas celebration simply become an excuse to have a party and exchange gifts? Then, this the lesson for you!
- "Manga" English (30 minutes) This is an innovative way to study English using "Manga" (cartoon) style! This lesson is for beginners and intermediate English learners!
- "Guinness Book of World Records" Lesson This lesson is meant to help you improve your English reading, comprehension, and problem-solving skills. If you like brain teasers, this is the lesson for you!
- Beginning Japanese Lesson - Let's talk! This course is perfect if you are a beginner studying the Japanese language. Learn easy Japanese phrases, words, and expressions. Primarily a free talk lesson!
- "World's Famous Couples!" Happy Valentine's Day! Have you ever wondered who the 15 most famous couples are throughout history? This fascinating and intriguing lesson is a fun and interesting way to study English. Come find out who fell passionately in love!
- Easy Reader Series - "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata This is one of my "Easy Reader Series" - You will read the classic Japanese short novel called "The Izu Dancer" by Yasunari Kawabata. I will ask you questions about what you've read after each chapter! It will be fun!
- TED Talks Discussion (Intermediate English) This lesson uses one of the TED Talks videos of your choice. You will be asked to write an essay about the topic and I will correct it. During the lesson, we will have a discussion about the topic prompted by my questions.
Feedback from students
Thank you always for the great lesson. It was fun chit-chatting with you. The quizzes were intriguing too. 楽しく充実した60分間でした。